English 222

My first mistake in my first year at University was to take English 222 instead of 221. Actually, I didn't have much choice - the English placement exam vaulted me to English 222 (A survey of English Literature) away from English 221 (Grammar and prose) - but I should have forced my way into 221 anyway. This is because, I'm convinced that had I taken 221 instead of 222, I'd be more literal and less literary and this would be a good thing because then I'd pay more attention to narrative than to drama.

Sigh. 

Why is this so difficult? I mean, think about it - narrative is right in front of you. It happens and you it's over - nothing you can do about it. Sure, you can try and manipulate narrative - but the best plans of mice and men and all that you know - but more times than not, you're doomed, and when you are successful, then it morphs into drama anyway. So there it is, you just accept, or at least you should, narrative, look at it dispassionately, nod your head, and continue. 

But no, that's not the case - The accursed 222 course teaches you to 'make sense of narrative, to read subtext, to make pull out metaphors and meaning', all of which is summed as: Turn Narrative Into Drama.

Mind you, the main problem is that narrative carries baggage with it, and that baggage isn't always very well packed so it has a tendency to burst out of its confines every now and again. 

SAP - Not Systems, Applications and Products (in Data Processing), but rather Sadness. Anger. Protectiveness. And there's the rub. It's anger over, not anger with. It's sadness with, not sadness because, and as a result, protectiveness precisely because it's anger over, and sadness with. How much more complicated does this have to become? Not to mention - all this is following the narrative - there is maybe 10% drama here, but really, honestly, 90% of this is narrative. So there you go. I don't know how to deal anymore - okay, that last bit was pure drama. I'm dealing - reluctantly, but still dealing. What I need to do now is to stop railing at the fates.

And I shall start by going to do some swooshing. A swoosh in the sun (well except that the mountain is covered in cloud) will do me good.